26 children in 'Rettai Chuzhi'


The Iyakkunar Imayam and Iyakkunar Sigaram have stood behind the camera and created the Superstar and Kalaignani. Now they will both face the camera in 'Rettai Chuzhi' and the lucky person to direct them is Thamira.
Thamira shares his experience of having directed them.
“The film 'Rettai Chuzhi' is about the pranks, spats and mock anger of 2 grown-up kids. The story encompasses the realistic side of these two. On several occasions, I have seen the child part of these two men that the society has not seen. When I told Shankar sir the story, I did not mention the names of Bharatiraja or Balachander. But at the second meeting, I showed a drawing of all of them."Are you sure this is possible? It would be nice,"said he enthusiastically. He said he would speak to them himself and went personally to meet them despite his busy schedule. I was happy they liked the story too. After 32 years, I made them play sozhikaai. I am thrilled to see a new Balachander and Bharatiraja that even I have not known. How 2 giants in the film industry can without ego behave like kids cannot be delineated so realistically and it surprises and awes me more and more each day!
More than anyone else, these 2 people know the respect a director commands. They have such large hearts to accept the feelings and opinions of this young lad when they come to the shooting spot. Like a concerned teacher or an affectionate father, each of them come to me and ask if it Ok, to check if it has come out as desired. There is absolutely no domination. How would a child feel towards its mother? After reading my short story, Balachander sir took me on as an assistant. Similarly, Bharatiraja sir read my short story and said with modesty,"You seem to be able to write with feeling. You start and I will try to act according to whatever you need,"and blessed me.

They are both generous to cooperate with an artiste from the bottom of their hearts. They appreciate the value of words and shower respect on the writers. There are 24 child stars in the film. Add these 2 and it makes a total of 26 kids!
The hero is a new boy called Akhil. Anjali is the heroine. I wonder how many others would suit such realistic roles. They have surrendered to their characters they play.”

No comments:

Post a Comment